Environment & Blue-Green Spaces
Citizen Action Group
In 2017 43.8% of Thames Ward was open space, though since then much of that has been developed for residential use, with more to follow. As the population rises the need to protect and enhance existing green and blue spaces becomes ever more important. The rise in extreme weather conditions triggered by climate change require innovative local solutions that work sympathetically with the natural environment. Residents have also raised concerns about air pollution and land contamination, as documented by the Valence House archive.
Environment & Blue-Green Spaces Citizen Action Group members are adamant that resident-led interventions are what the community needs to create long-term change and have begun to make some progress (see below).
Our Environment & Blue-Green Spaces Citizen Action Group has engaged with residents and key strategic partners to research and develop resident-led environmental solutions, and has identified three priorities for its strategic work:
- Sharing learning on climate change (adaptation and mitigation)
- Developing a Green and Blue Spaces strategy for the whole of Thames Ward
- Leading community actions including litter picking and community gardening
To secure and enhance flourishing Green and Blue Spaces via resident action and to develop strong and effective partnership working with local agencies via a Ward-wide strategy
Environment & Blue-Green Spaces Initiatives
Thames View Community Garden
New Riverside Community Garden Site
- We secured a new community garden site leased from BRL to TWCP via Riverside School.
- We supported plot holders of Thames View Community Garden to create their own committee and constitution to help manage the development of the site and work better collaboratively with each other and partner organisations.
- We received funding over £5,000 from London City Airport Community Fund and Barking Renew to develop community garden sites in Thames View and Barking Riverside.
- We worked with CleanUp UK and Barking Riverside Ltd to tackle litter and secure new litter bins on Riverside
- We are working in partnership with SUSTRANS, Be First, University of East London and Barking Riverside Ltd to deliver local environmental projects including the Ripple Greenway.
News & Events
TWCP and the Thames View Tenants and Residents Association (TRA) have both been successful in applying to the London City Airport Community Fund for funding
Thames View Community Garden SGM – Sunday 7th June, 10am-11am Community Garden, Bastable Avenue, Barking, IG11 0QQ
Garden members from the Thames View Community Garden (TVCG) came together for an SGM yesterday to confirm their development plans for the garden including installing
If you live in Barking Riverside, Scrattons Farm or Thames View and want to get involved in resident-led activity with your neighbours then get in touch!